Marriage Information for Clergy from Outside Connecticut
- All marriage guidelines and material can be found at here.
- Please read: The Episcopal Church in Connecticut's Information Regarding Marriages
- Please read: Title I Canon 18: Of the Solemnization of Holy Matrimony
- Be in touch with the Office of the Episcopate of the Episcopal Church in Connecticut
When requesting permission from the Bishop to perform a first marriage or the blessing of a marriage in the Diocese of Connecticut please include the following:
- The names of the couple
- The wedding date
- Location of the ceremony (If at a parish please give name and town. If not at a parish please also include address)
- If the marriage is to take place in a parish please include a copy of your written permission from the Priest in Charge. (Note: If the marriage is to take place outside of a parish please notify the priest in charge of the nearest parish that you will performing a marriage in their neighborhood.)
- A copy of your written consent from the Bishop of the Diocese in which you are canonically resident unless you are officially licensed to officiate of marriages in Connecticut.
- That the marriage is a first marriage for both parties or otherwise that neither has dissolved a previous marriage.
- That the couple has received premarital Christian counseling and by whom.
- Where the marriage will be registered. (You can register the marriage in your parish or a local parish. If you need contact information for a local parish, please request it in your letter)
Remarriage (after dissolution of marriage):
When requesting permission from the Bishop to perform a remarriage or the blessing of a remarriage in the Diocese of Connecticut please:
- Follow the requirements for remarriage of your diocese.
- Follow the requirements listed above for all marriages, but indicate that the marriage is not a first marriage.