Mental Health - Wellness and Advocacy
May is Mental Health Month; Suicide Prevention Week and World Suicide Prevention Day are in September. September is also Recovery Month. NAMI, the National Alliance on Mental Illness, has information and resources for observing Mental Health Month, link here.
Recommended resources for learning more and advocacy, from Deacon Kyle Pedersen:
- http://www.nami.org - NAMI (the National Alliance on Mental Illness)
- http://www.namict.org -The CT affiliate of NAMI. There are also local NAMI chapters in many Connecticut towns and cities.
- http://www.samhsa.gov/ - Substance Abuse and Mental Health services Administration
- http://www.nimh.nih.gov/index.shtml - National Institute of Mental Health
- http://turningpointct.org/ - "developed by young people in recovery from mental health and substance use issues"
Suicide prevention resources
- http://www.preventsuicidect.org - a Connecticut suicide prevention organization
- http://www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org - a national organization
- QPR Institute - www.qprinstitute.com, provides advanced training as a certified Question, Persuade, and Respond (QPR) Instructor. For first responders, crisis workers, health care professionals, and others who want to learn how to heal people considering suicide. Deacon Karen Fedorchak recommends the course and has taken it at Manchester Community College from the instructor Joseph Navarra, who teaches it to students/staff and opens it periodically to the public.
4/27/2015: Indigenous Episcopal Voices speak out on self-harm at UN forum (Episcopal News Service)