The Episcopal Diocese of Connecticut

When to apply Safe Church protocols to programs with children and youth held on church property:

Who's affected:

 Adults who regularly work (paid and unpaid) with children or youth in programs that are offered by a parish or as an extension of the ministry of the parish (e.g. nursery schools; Vacation Bible Schools; camps; theater programs; parish-sponsored community choral academies/choirs, etc.)

What's required: 

A completed application; Safe Church training; public record background check through ECCT's approved vendor; interview; and reference check for all adults who regularly work, paid and unpaid, with children or youth.

Who's not affected:

If the program is run by tenants of a parish on church property and if the program is NOT an extension of the ministry of the parish, the adults are NOT REQUIRED to follow diocesan Safe Church protocols.

What's required instead: 

In such cases the parish needs to have a certificate of insurance indemnifying the parish. The insurance must include general liability coverage and sexual misconduct coverage with limits of at least $1,000,000 and worker’s compensation insurance in conformance with state regulations.