The Episcopal Diocese of Connecticut

Insurance FAQ

Insurance FAQ

We sometimes receive questions about who to call when initiating a property loss claim or who to contact when signing up a new employee for health insurance. Listed below are a some common questions we receive here at the Commons.

Q: Who do I call if there has been some property damage at the parish?
A: There are a variety of claims covered by our property insurance. They can range from frozen pipes in the basement to a tree falling on the parish hall. Such claims should be filed with our third party administrator, John Webster at York Risk Services. John can be reached here:

John D. Webster
National General Adjuster
201.388.4509 office
201.221.8204 fax

Q: Who can I contact if an employee experienced an injury at work?
A: Workers Compensation claims can be filed with The Hartford. You can contact The Hartford at 1-800-327-3636. They might ask for our policy number. That number is 08 WB AA9HK3.

Q: A guest of the parish slipped and fell in the parking lot, sprained their ankle, and has filed a claim. Is this type of injury covered under our insurance?
A: It is! You can contact our general liability insurer at the Philadelphia Insurance, Co. at 1-800-765-974924. Our policy number with Philadelphia is PHPK1586061.

Q: Is there a handbook available where I can take a look at a summary of our P&C insurance offerings?
A: Indeed there is! Click this link to view our 2018 P&C Insurance Handbook.

Q: We have a new employee coming on board who is regularly scheduled to work over 30 hours per week. Are they eligible for health insurance coverage?
A: Yes! Please contact Matt Handi at the Commons via phone (203-639-3501) or email ( and he will walk you through the process to initiate coverage.

Please note: Employees scheduled to work 30 or more hours per week are required by the ECCT’s canons to have at least 85% of their premium paid for by the employer.

Q: We have a new employee who will be starting with us and is scheduled to work between 20 and 29 hours per week. Are they eligible for coverage as well?
A: Yes! Employees can opt to buy into a health plan at full cost offered by the Church Pension Group.

Q: We have a new employee who is scheduled to work less than 20 hours per week. Can they, too, buy into the Church Pension Group’s health plan offerings?
A: Unfortunately, no. Only employees scheduled to work 20 or more hours per week have the option of buying into the CPG’s offerings.

Q: We just signed up our new parish priest for full medical coverage, yet when they called the CPG, they were told there was no record of their having dental insurance. What’s going on?
A: The ECCT does not purchase dental coverage through the CPG and instead self-insures through Delta Dental of New Jersey. The CPG will not have a rector of an employee of a parish within in the ECCT. Your new employee will receive a dental ID card directly from the Commons. If that employee has not received their ID, please contact Matt Handi via phone (203-639-3501) or email (

Q: Who can I contact if I have questions about an employees pension plan?
A: You should contact the CPG directly with any questions related to pensions at (866) 802-6333.


These are just a sample of some of the common questions we receive. If you have any other questions, (or would just like to say hello!) feel free to contact our Operations Manager, Matt Handi via phone (203-639-3501) or email (