Faith Behind Bars and Beyond
Focus: Faith Behind Bars and Beyond supports incarcerated and formerly incarcerated persons, their families, and volunteers who work with them.
Scope: Faith Behind Bars and Beyond strives to answer God's call to minister to God's people in prison and to those affected by incarceration. We are working to respond in four ways:
- By building awareness of the needs of those in prison and their families.
- By highlighting the efforts of people of faith "inside" and "outside" prison walls.
- By encouraging communication, mutual support, and education for all those engaged in prison ministry.
- By inspiring people of faith to join in this life-changing work.
- Regular Meetings: We meet regularly September through May on the second Friday of the month from 10 am- 12 noon at St. Stephen's, East Haddam.
- Public Events: Annual Forum usually occurs in the Spring.
ECCT parishes active:St Mark's, Mystic; St. Stephen's, East Haddam, and more.
- Officers are elected at the annual meeting among women throughout the state, but the ministry encourages grass-roots involvement and coordination on parish levels.
- The national ECW (website here) organizes the Triennial meeting, which meets at the same time and place as The Episcopal Church's General Convention. Diocesan chapters elect representatives to attend. The national ECW organizes Sunday worship during General convention, which includes a symbolic collection of United Thank Offering donations from every participating diocese.