Dean of Province I School for Deacons
Position Title: Dean of Province I School for Deacons
- Apply by September 3, 2019
- The Search Committee has opted to re-open the search to both ordained and lay candidates.
- Reports to: Bishop Suffragan of ECCT, in collaboration with Bishops of Province 1.
The Dean of the Province I School of Deacon is responsible for the continuing development, oversight, and implementation of the School for Deacons for the participating Episcopal Dioceses in Province I. Currently, the Dioceses of Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and Western Massachusetts participate. The principal roles of the Dean are as program administrator and occasional instructor. The Dean works collaboratively with formation colleagues in the Province. The Dean tracks each student’s process in the school and oversees other administrative roles for each student. The Dean is primarily responsible for overseeing the eight academic online sessions and written assignments. The Dean designs quarterly retreat weekends collaboratively with the other diocesan coordinators. The Dean is also the primary staff contact for the school and will work in collaboration at the quarterly retreats with the Archdeacon in RI and Director of Formation in Western Massachusetts, and other colleagues as appropriate. The position is part-time (8-12 hours/week) with costs shared among the dioceses.
- Work under the direction of the Bishops who oversee the diaconal ordination process
- Maintain regular communication with all those in the diaconal ordination process
- Recruit teachers for online sessions
- Plan and lead quarterly formation retreats, serving as host (providing snacks, schedules, name tags, etc.)
- Host and attend online formation sessions (8 per year)
- Provide feedback in collaboration with the instructors and the diocesan coordinators for all students on any written assignments
- Maintain online files for the school
- Oversight of the finances of the school
- Critique papers and other assignments
- Monthly supervision with the Bishop who has oversight of the School
Must have a Master's Degree (MDiv. Or another related degree). A doctoral degree in a ministry-related field is preferable. All applicants should have a great depth and breadth of knowledge of theology and the Episcopal Church. Ordination is not a prerequisite. Must be professional and able to maintain confidences. Must be computer knowledgeable and able to use a variety of programs across platforms. Knowledge of Zoom, MS Office, Google Apps, and Dropbox are required. Ability to edit and post web pages (in a WYSIWYG editor) is a plus.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work:
The position is quarter time, defined as 8-12 hour work week. Hours of work can be negotiated with the supervisor.
Attendance at quarterly formation retreats is required. Mileage and expenses will be reimbursed.
Please send a resume and cover letter to the Rt. Rev. Laura J. Ahrens (email@example.com).
ECCT adheres to the Equal Employment Opportunity Policy adopted by Diocesan Convention. ECCT provides this site as a service for parishes and is not affiliated with the parishes’ employment policies.