Granted to parishes in areas with lower per capita wealth.
First recorded clergy Convention is held in Fairfield, Connecticut
Consecration of Samuel Seabury (in Scotland) as the first Episcopal Bishop in America and the first Diocesan Bishop of Connecticut.
Incorporation of the Society for the Promotion of Christian Knowledge (S.P.C.K.). This organization emerged from earlier Bible and Common Prayer Book societies associated with the colonial Society for the Propagation of the Gospel (S.P.G.)
Incorporation of the Missionary Society of the Diocese of CT, which acts as the central organizational body for the authorization of diocesan mission work, essentially replacing by name and taking up the work of the earlier SPCK and SPG.
Diocesan Convention adopted the canon to establish and organize six archdeaconries to better fulfill it’s missionary work throughout the state. The original CT archdeaconries included one each for Fairfield, New Haven, Litchfield, and Middlesex Counties, and one for Hartford and Tolland, and one for New London and Windham. This canon has been amended repeatedly and boundaries have shifted over the years, but the concept of these regional mission divisions presently continues today through the vision of the Taskforce for Reimagining the Episcopal Church in Connecticut (TREC-CT).
Christ Church in Hartford officially is chartered as the Diocesan Cathedral, with its consecration taking place in 1920 along with the institution of the cathedral’s first Dean, The Very Reverend Samuel Colladay. These events also celebrated the centennial anniversary of the consecration of The Right Reverend Thomas Church Brownell, Third Diocesan Bishop of Connecticut.
With the incorporation of the Seabury Society for the Preservation of the Glebe House, a national endowment was established to preserve the old rectory or “Glebe House” in Woodbury, CT, where clergy members initially met to elect Samuel Seabury as the first bishop of Connecticut and the American colonies in 1783.
Chartered originally in Middletown, CT in 1854, the Berkeley Divinity School moved to New Haven solidifying its educational affiliation with Yale University as a denominational seminary within an ecumenical divinity school.
Founding of the Episcopal Society for Cultural and Racial Unity (ESCRU) by the national church (TEC). In December 1959, approximately one hundred lay and ordained Episcopalians responded to a call for meeting issued by the Reverends John Morris, Neil Tarplee, and Arthur Walmsley (later, Diocesan Bishop of Connecticut), to form an organization committed to removing all vestiges of segregation from the life of the Church. The group adopted the name “Episcopal Society for Cultural and Racial Unity” and immediately took issue with the de facto racial segregation that dominated Church life in the South, which included refusing African Americans admission to Church-run institutions and to white worship services.