Heads Up! Hartford, Inc. (HUH!) is a 501(c)(3) faith based organization that brings together approximately eighty urban and suburban teams for a week promoting diversity, developing leadership skills, and providing community service in the Hartford area.
Scope: Heads Up! Hartford, Inc. (HUH!) has been serving the communities of the greater Hartford area for more than 13 years. By connecting urban and suburban youth from and around Hartford, this non-profit 501(c)(3) volunteer organization seeks to build bridges across differences and develop leadership capabilities in young people through community service, recreation, worship and education. Mixed with a lot of hard work, we participate in a variety of activities that foster team building, educate about diversity, and enhance the skills of future leaders. These take place at both our residential site of St. Thomas Seminary in Bloomfield, CT and the Greater Hartford area.
Activities may include:
- Collection for local food banks
- Sunday Worship
- Picnic Table build for local charities
- Hartford Scavenger Hunt
- Hoops Tournament
- Talent Show
Meeting & Contact Information:
- The Operations Committee meets at St. Thomas Seminary when they meet in person, and at various times conduct online conference calls.
- The Youth Advisory Board is involved in the planning and execution of the worship and week. They meet twice a year at various churches that participate. They design t-shirts, choose a theme, and help plan and participate in worship.
- There are also three ‘super youth groups’ hosted throughout the year for perspective campers to check out the atmosphere, learn more about the program, and fellowship with other future campers.
|Primary contact for Ministry Network||Patti Cole|
|Contact phone Number|
|Contact email firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Secondary contact for Ministry Network||The Rev. Linda Spiers|
|Contact phone Number|
|Contact email email@example.com|
Active ECCT Parishes
- Trinity Episcopal Church in Collinsville
- Trinity Episcopal Church in Hartford
- St. James Episcopal Church in Glastonbury
- St. Luke’s Episcopal Church in Glastonbury
- Grace Episcopal Church in Hartford
Some of our ecumenical partners have included:
- Bloomfield – First Congregational Church
- East Granby – East Granby Congregational Church
- Glastonbury – First Church of Christ, Buckingham Congregational Church
- Granby – South Congregational Church
- Hartford – Mt. Olive Church Ministries, AME Zion Church, Blackwell AME Zion Church, Anointed Tabernacle, Breakthrough
Our Community Work Partners are located in and around the Hartford, Connecticut area. At these sites, we give back to the community through direct service during the week. Our past work partners have included:
- ABC House – Glastonbury
- Auer Farm — Bloomfield
- Charities of Hope – Hartford
- Connectikids — Hartford
- CRT Early Care and Education – multiple sites
- Family Life Education – Hartford
- Foodshare – Hartford
- Hartford Housing Authority
- Food Pantries in East Hartford, Hartford, West Hartford, and Windsor
- Manchester Land Conservation Trust
- Meadowbrook of Granby
- Senior Housing in East Granby and Windsor
Heads Up! Hartford has fostered a welcoming and accepting attitude towards all kids throughout its fifteen years in operation. It promotes radical welcome from its understanding of mission and hospitality. For instance, each year old campers wear t-shirts on from the previous year so that they can identify students that have not come before, and welcome them in particular. The organization also runs completely off of volunteer work and fundraising, so that it can give as many scholarships to students who need the funds to attend as possible.