Participating in Worship
There are a number of special opportunities for people from all over the Episcopal Church in Connecticut to participate in a role for worship at the Celebration of the Spirit on Sunday, November 20. Each opportunity description below contains the details of what you need to know to participate.
The center of our space at this year's convention will be filled with a special art installation, created collaboratively by many hands from all over our church. The installation will consist of many hundreds of red metal and copper flames suspended in the air. If you or a group of people in your community feel creative, there are three distinct opportunities to participate in the creation of this special art installation:
Make Flames in Your Worshiping Community
This is a great opportunity for your youth group, or for groups of people in your parish to get involved! Using our simple online form, you can request a packet of sheets of red anodized aluminum be mailed to you along with instructions and simple templates for inspiration. We will mail out the packets starting in the middle of next week. When you receive the packet, schedule a time for everyone to get together to make the flames. The aluminum is easily cut with a heavy pair of shears, and you can follow the simple templates or create your own unique flame design. Then, mail them back to the Commons no later than November 14 for inclusion in the art installation. You'll want to be sure to register to attend the Celebration of the Spirit so that you can see the final result yourself!
Copper Flames at our Artist Work Party
In addition to the red aluminum flames, the art installation will contain a number of flames cut from copper sheeting. The copper requires special handling, so we will preparing these flames at a special artist work part at The Commons on Wednesday, November 2 at 6pm. We will provide food for anyone who comes on by to help out. Not only do you get to help create art using a beautiful and unique material, you get to connect with other fun and interesting people from all over our church! Please let us know if you are planning on coming by on November 2 with an RSVP to the lead artist, Stephen Hard at email@example.com.
Hanging the Installation of "One in Love"
The sculpture will be assembled at the Hartford Convention Center on Friday, November 18, the night before the start of Annual Convention. We will need a small crew of people to help make this happen. The exact timing is still being determined, and if you are interested in a being a part of this final step, please contact the lead artist, Stephen Hard at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our worship will feature a beautiful and diverse collection of music, lead by a massed choir consisting of over a hundred people from parishes all over Connecticut. In addition to leading us in hymns, the choir will sing two anthems:
- Ralph Vaughan Williams: Let all the world (from Five Mystical Songs) - octavo easily available of this movement only of the Songs (YouTube Video of Music)
- Stephanie Martin: Ave verum corpus (Cypress Choral Music Octavo #1149) (YouTube Video of Music)
- You can order from your own music distributor, or contact email@example.com if you don't already have one. Contact Walden Moore if you run into issues.
- Other music will be printed in the congregational bulletin.
If you are interested in participating in this massed choir, either individually or with a group of people from your parish's choir, please contact our convention music director, Walden Moore at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that if you are singing with the choir at Convention, you must already be registered to attend the Celebration of the Spirit.
Participants will need to practice the music on their own or with their parish choirs. In addition, two group rehearsals will be held for those who want. Please contact the choir director for the practice listed if you are planning on attending the rehearsal.
- 6-6:45 p.m. on November 9 at Trinity Episcopal Church, New Haven (230 Temple Street, New Haven) Contact Walden Moore email@example.com
- 7:30-8:15 p.m. on November 16 at St. James' Episcopal Church, West Hartford (1018 Farmington Avenue, West Hartford) Contact Vaughn Mauren firstname.lastname@example.org
On the day of the worship service, Sunday, November 20, we will have a rehearsal at 9:00 a.m. in the main ballroom of the Connecticut Convention Center. Please bring:
- Your choir vestment (on a hanger with your name on it). Bring as few personal belongings as is possible, given that security in a large public space is limited - carry as much on your person as is possible
- The two choir anthems
- Your choir folder
In order to have worship for 2,000+ people at the Celebration of the Spirit, we need a large base of volunteers to help with various aspects of our worship. If you already serve in one of these functions at your own parish, then consider offering your gift of service for our gathered worship! If you are interested in volunteering, please contact Rachel Thomas at email@example.com. This is a great opportunity for youth and people from all over our church to participate! Please note that if you are serving in any role for worship, you must already be registered to attend the Celebration of the Spirit.
- Eucharistic Ministers: We need 56 Eucharistic Ministers to help distribute the bread and wine during worship
- Ushers: We need 24 ushers to hand out worship bulletins, help people find seating, and to collect the offering during worship
Do you enjoy baking? Then do we have the opportunity for you! We need a small team of bakers to prepare the communion bread for worship. We will all be using a common recipe and detailed instructions will be provided. Please contact Angela Shelley at firstname.lastname@example.org.