Field trips and pilgrimages
Pilgrimage to the Smithsonian National Museum of African American History & Culture
Saturday November 16 and Sunday 17, 2019
TRANSPORTATION (AND TIMES)
The motor coach will depart at 4:00 a.m. from Good Shepherd, Hartford via motor coach. It will make a stop at St. Paul's in Riverside to pick up the Fairfield County pilgrims at 5:30 a.m. (Parking available in both locations.) From there it will continue to D.C.
There are additional tickets available for those who prefer to drive themselves, see next section below.
TICKETS & PLANS FOR DC:
The Network has tickets for an 11:00 admission to the Museum where people will spend the remainder of Saturday. Dinner plans will be determined later. The group will worship together Sunday morning before checking out of the hotel, then head to the Museum for our 10:00 a.m. admittance. At 2:00 p.m. the bus group will depart to head back to Connecticut.
There are 20 additional Museum tickets for those who prefer to drive themselves, however they must be present with the main group in order to be admitted to the Museum at the dates and time on the tickets.
Once inside, people are free to go off on their own.
Museum tickets are free; however, all tickets are timed-entry for specific dates in order to accommodate the crowds. The cost for bus riders is $80.00. This includes roundtrip travel by motor coach, driver’s gratuity, brownbag continental breakfast for Saturday, and water and snacks for both days.
The $80 fee does NOT include lunch on Saturday or Sunday; dinner on Saturday, or hotel accommodations. All of those are separate.
The Network has a block of rooms reserved at the Hampton Inn and Suites in Alexandria, VA. The cost is $109 plus taxes and fees for a single/double room and $119 plus taxes and fees for a triple/quad room. Continental breakfast is included. You must make your own reservation. To reserve your room, please contact Kim Frankforter, Travel Consultant, L & K Premier Travel LLC at 475-988-5222 (Phone) or email her at email@example.com. The cutoff date for hotel reservations is Oct. 4.
Online advance registration is required for those traveling by motor coach or taking their own transportation. Tickets are limited and will be first-come, first-served.
- Link here to register for travel by motor coach: (registration to come) Payment is expected at time of registration.
- Link here to register for those arranging their own travel: (registration to come)
Past pilgrimages and field trips:
- November 14, 2018: "Queens of the Golden Mask" at the Ivoryton Playhouse
- March 17, 2019: Visit to St. Luke's New Haven to share in their "Friends & Family" service
- July 13, 2019: "Confronting the Slave Trade in our Back Yard." Meet at 9 a.m. at Trinity, Brooklyn. Bus to Old Trinity Church, built by enslaved persons, for a tour and brief prayer service; then depart by bus for Providence RI for a two-hour urban walking tour led by Center for Racial Reconciliation in Providence RI.