Safe Church Resources
Did you know? Safe Church Model Policies are adopted in General Convention and are thus intended for the Episcopal Church as a whole. For more information, please visit The Episcopal Church's Safe Church webpage.
Safe Church Training Winter 2021: All ECCT Safe Church Training (SCT) includes an online course followed by a 3-hour live session on Zoom. New online courses are designed to reflect whether you have previously participated in SCT, whether you currently have oversight responsibilities for events, programs or others engaged in ministry, and ministerial roles. This training is grounded in our call to seek and serve Christ in all persons and respect the dignity of every human being. It offers an opportunity to increase and enhance our ability to live out our Baptismal Covenant within our communities of faith and in the world beyond.
There is no fee to attend. Parish leaders are responsible for tracking attendance of laity who need to participate in SCT as specified in Appendix A of ECCT's Model Safe Church Policies.
Registration for SCT is through Eventbrite. To register, click on one of the dates below for a live follow-up Zoom session. These sessions are limited to 20 participants and registration closes one week before the Zoom session or when capacity is reached, whichever comes first. Additional training sessions will be added as needed.
After registration you will receive two separate emails:
- Immediately upon registration you will receive a confirmation email that includes the link to ECCT's Safe Church Training Resource Manual, also available here. You are encouraged to download and print the Resource Manual to use as reference during your online course and live follow-up Zoom session.
- Within a week of registering you will receive an email with instructions on how to access the online course.
Online courses must be completed 2 days before the live follow-up Zoom session. At that time, you will receive an email that includes the link to the Zoom session. Follow-up live sessions on Zoom build on learnings from the online course and provide opportunity to put that learning into practice. Don't worry, if something happens and you are unable to complete the online course at least 2 days before a Zoom session, you may register for another Zoom session.
The running time for online courses range from 1.25 hours to 3.5 hours. The online materials do not have to be completed all at once; you can take breaks in between modules. The online course includes narration. You will need speakers.
Register for one of these live Zoom sessions by clicking on the listing (More June and July sessions TBA):
- Saturday morning, May 22, 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 noon (WAITLIST)
- Monday evening, June 7, 2021, 6:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m. (WAITLIST)
- Saturday morning, June 12, 2021, 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 noon (WAITLIST)
- Wednesday evening, June 16, 2021, 6:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m.
- Tuesday evening, June 22, 2021, 6:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m. (CANCELED)
- Sunday afternoon, June 27, 2021, 1:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.
- Wednesday evening, July 7, 2021, 6:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m.
- Saturday morning, July 10, 2021, 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
- Monday evening, July 12, 2021, 6:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m.
- Tuesday evening, July 13, 2021, 6:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m.
- *Additional trainings will be added soon.
- Appendix A: Training & Screening Protocols from Model Policies
- Appendix B: Recommended Practices and Guidelines for Social Media & Electronic Communications for Children & Youth
- Appendix B: Recommended Practices and Guidelines for Social Media & Electronic Communications for Vulnerable Adults
- Background check procedures
- Best Practices for a Safe Church Online (Diocese of Michigan, March 30, 2020)
- Guidelines for Ordained Ministry
- Intake Officers (Reporting clergy misconduct)
- Leaving Well Policy (When a priest leaves a parish or worshipping community)
- Living with Covid-19: Protocols and Directions for Clergy and Vestries in ECCT
- Model Policies for the Protection of Children and Youth (Revised April 2019)
- Model Policies for the Protection of Vulnerable Adults (Revised April 2019)
- Model Policy on Alcohol for Parishes
- Parishes and Boy Scout Troops (March 2021)
- Policy for Parish Protocols for Inclusion of Registered Sex Offenders
- Safe Church Training Resource Manual "Called to Right Relationship" (Revised September 2019)
- What to Do When a Child Discloses Abuse
- When to Apply Safe Church Protocols
- Annual Safe Church Self-Audit Form
- Ministry Network Event Form
- Permission Form: Youth Off-Site, Single Day Event with Parent/Guardian Present
- Permission Form: Youth Off-Site Overnight Event
- Release Form: Adult Off-Site, Single Day Event
- Release Form: Adult Off-Site Overnight Event
- Sample Application to Participate in Ministry as a Volunteer (Customizable form)
- Volunteer Driver Form