Safe Church Resources
For information on clergy safe church recertification, click here.
The Office of Mission Integrity and Training facilitates all diocesan safe church trainings. Diocesan Safe Church Training is grounded in our call to seek and serve Christ in all persons and respect the dignity of every human being. This training provides an opportunity to increase and enhance our ability to live out our Baptismal Covenant within our communities of faith and in the world beyond.
All adults engaged in ministry in our diocese are welcome to attend safe church training. There is no fee to attend. All training sessions are handicapped accessible unless otherwise indicated. Parish leadership should specify who is required to attend safe church training from each parish. Guidelines for attendance can be found on page 5 of Healthy Church Practices (Currently being updated).
Basic Safe Church Training
Basic safe church training is designed for ordained and lay ministers who have not yet attended a safe church training in the Episcopal Church in Connecticut. Topics include:
- Prevention, identification and response to elder abuse
- Prevention, identification and response to sexual abuse of children and youth
- The newly revised diocesan policy for the protection of children and youth
- Power and boundaries in the ministerial relationship with adults
- The diocesan response to misconduct within a community of faith
- Sexual harassment
- Guidelines for ordained ministry (many of which apply to lay ministry)
This training may be eligible for continuing education credit at your place of employment. Check with your employer before attending the training session.
- Training Schedule
- Guidelines for Social Media
- Background check procedures
- When to apply Safe Church protocols
The following documents can all be found in the Safe Church folder in the File Repository
- Safe Church Training Manual (revised August 2015)
- Healthy Church Practices (Currently being updated)
- Model Policy on Alcohol
- Application to work with children and youth
- Policies for working with children and youth (revised 2016)
- Policies for the protection of vulnerable adults (2016)
- Policy for Parish Protocols for Inclusion of Registered Sex Offenders (2016)