Safe Church Training Schedule
Anyone planning to attend a training session must REGISTER ONLINE: The Episcopal Church in Connecticut has moved to online registration through eventbrite.com. REGISTRATION CLOSES 7 days prior to each training or when a session is full, whichever comes first, to allow time for the host parish and trainers to prepare accordingly. All trainings will have a minimum number of 10 registered attendees; trainings with less than 10 may be cancelled.
Comprehensive (Basic) Safe Church Training
Comprehensive (basic) safe church training is designed for ordained and lay ministers who have not yet attended a safe church training in the Episcopal Church in Connecticut. Topics include:
- Prevention, identification and response to elder abuse
- Prevention, identification and response to sexual abuse of children and youth
- The newly revised diocesan policy for the protection of children and youth
- Power and boundaries in the ministerial relationship with adults
- The diocesan response to misconduct within a community of faith
- Sexual harassment
- Guidelines for ordained ministry (many of which apply to lay ministry)
This training may be eligible for continuing education credit at your place of employment. Check with your employer before attending the training session.
Comprehensive (Basic) Safe Church Training Sessions (two training options)
- Link here for OPTION 1 schedule: Full Day Live Trainings, Saturdays 9 a.m. - 4 p.m., lunch provided
- Link here for OPTION 2 schedule: Hybrid option consists of an online training component (two course modules) PLUS a shortened live follow up training on either a weekday evening (Mon.-Thurs.) or Saturday morning. The two online modules must be completed prior to attending the live session. You will receive the links for the online modules via email after registering for the live training, typically within a week or two and no sooner than 4-5 weeks before the live session. For questions contact Debbie Kenney at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Lay Recertification Training for lay persons
Lay recertification training is designed for lay ministers who attended a comprehensive basic safe church training (either a full day or the hybrid option). Certification is for three years; recertification training is done every three years thereafter. This training is two and a half-hours long and offers new and updated information. The focus is on the protection of children and youth and prevention of elder abuse. The hybrid option (above) may be done in place of a recertification training; those choosing the hybrid option will complete the two online modules prior to attending a live two and a half-hour session.
Evening sessions, 6:30 p.m. - 9 p.m., light supper provided unless otherwise noted. Morning sessions, 9 a.m. - 11:30 a.m., light refreshments provided unless otherwise noted.
- Sept. 5, 2018, 6:30 - 9:00 p.m. (Wed.): Trinity Church, 11 Church St., Tariffville - Register Here
- Sept. 15, 2018, 9:00 - 11:30 a.m. (Sat.): St. James', 501 Killingworth Rd., Higganum - Register Here
- Sept. 18, 2018, 6:30 - 9:00 p.m. (Tues.): Christ Church, 56 South Cliff St., Ansonia - Register Here
- Nov. 17, 2018, 9:00 - 11:30 a.m. (Sat.): St. Luke's, 111 Whalley Ave., New Haven - Register Here