Safe Church Training Schedule
Anyone planning to attend a training session must REGISTER ONLINE: The Episcopal Church in Connecticut has moved to online registration through eventbrite.com. REGISTRATION CLOSES 7 days prior to each training or when a session is full, whichever comes first, to allow time for the host parish and trainers to prepare accordingly. All trainings will have a minimum number of 10 registered attendees; trainings with less than 10 may be cancelled.
SUMMER PROGRAMMING: If you have an upcoming summer program or Vacation Bible School and you need to take your basic safe church training or recertification, please plan ahead and take one of the training courses being offered during the Winter/Spring semester beginning in March.
Comprehensive (Basic) Safe Church Training
Comprehensive (basic) safe church training is designed for ordained and lay ministers who have not yet attended a safe church training in the Episcopal Church in Connecticut. Topics include:
- Prevention, identification and response to elder abuse
- Prevention, identification and response to sexual abuse of children and youth
- The newly revised diocesan policy for the protection of children and youth
- Power and boundaries in the ministerial relationship with adults
- The diocesan response to misconduct within a community of faith
- Sexual harassment
- Guidelines for ordained ministry (many of which apply to lay ministry)
This training may be eligible for continuing education credit at your place of employment. Check with your employer before attending the training session.
Comprehensive (Basic) Safe Church Training Sessions (two training options)
- Link here for OPTION 1 schedule: Full Day Live Trainings, Saturdays 9 a.m. - 4 p.m., lunch provided
- Link here for OPTION 2 schedule: Hybrid option consists of an online training component followed by a shortened live follow up training on either a weekday evening (Mon.-Thurs.) or Saturday morning. The online course takes approximately 2 hours and must be completed prior to attending the live session; the links to online courses expire the day of each given training. You will receive the link for the online course in your registration confirmation email from Eventbrite. For questions contact Debbie Kenney at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Lay Recertification Training for lay persons
Lay recertification training is designed for lay ministers who attended a comprehensive basic safe church training (either a full day or the hybrid option). The focus is on the protection of children, youth and vulnerable adults and includes new and updated information. Certification is for three years; recertification training is done every three years thereafter. This training consists of an online component that takes approximately 1 hour, followed by a two and a half-hour live session; links to online training courses expire the day of each given training. You will receive the link to the online course in your registration confirmation email from Eventbrite. The comprehensive hybrid option (above) may be done in place of a recertification training.
Evening sessions, 6:30 p.m. - 9 p.m., light supper provided unless otherwise noted. Morning sessions, 9 a.m. - 11:30 a.m., light refreshments provided unless otherwise noted.